Saturday 10 April 2010

I *heart* Stokey @16C!


The mood of London and the temperament of its citizens change with the weather.

Today: it's the sunniest Saturday of the year so far, and the people are out! 11am down Ridley Road market, and a young pecked-up stall holder has his shirt off and is getting the sun-protection cream on. Optimism is in the air! To the sound of steel drums, Stoke Newington Church Street was re-opened (having been closed to traffic over the winter for improvement works), and the local political parties were out - taking the first official breaths in their pre-election marketeering. "I *heart* Stokey" balloons garlanded Church Street, and some floated into the stratosphere to the rolling notes of the Nostalgic Steel Band.

The Green Party had a very positive and impressive stand. The ruling Labour Party (on behalf of Diane Abbott MP) were looking confident. The red balloons celebrating the new tarmac sung in their favour. I was disappointed to find only a girl in a blue dress handing out smiley stickers on behalf of the Liberal Democrats. Other LibDem representatives were also lingering, but on request - no literature. The Green Party seemed much more organised and on the ball. Subject to close-reading of their literature, for the first time perhaps they have my local vote.

I will celebrate my first election in solo autonomous living with my colours in the window. (LOL: My mum would say I should clean the windows first!) - I will go for two colours!(green & yellow) - But please Hackney LibDems, raise your game.

Stokey really was a-buzz; it felt like everyone was out. A craft fair in Abney Hall, a produce market with tasties if you could grab them, ripe blossom, red balloons buoyant and the red ribbon being cut. Church Street is open again, and the summer (and the election) is ON!

1 comment:

  1. Nice description....seems like a very charged up atmosphere.....

    ReplyDelete